Monday, August 2, 2010

August 2nd Letter



Hey friends and family,

As always the mission always brings fun and interesting surprises. I sadly lost my favorite companion Elder Uchoa this week. He was transfered and I received my new companion Elder Albequerque. He is from Recife Brazil. He is my 11th companion during my mission and he makes 10 of which have been Brazilian. I have only had 1 American companion this whole time. We had a good week finding lost of new investigators. We have been blessed with a member here that loves talking to everybody she knows about the church and gives us lots of good referals. Now this week will we concentrate in teaching all these new people. The ward here is starting to grow on me. At first I had a few things I didnt like very much but now I am starting to like it alot more which I think will help with the work. We sadly dont have anybody that we can really baptize this week but there are still 6 days before Sunday and I am hopeful. Yesterday the Bishop invited about 50 members to house and we had a huge lunch together. The youngs mens president made Chili and it actually turned out really good. I say it like that because they dont make chili in Brazil. At least its not a everyday food like it is to us. Today the other 3 elders in our house and I spent a good 2.5 hours making our house sparkling clean. I am looking forward to the rest of the day to just relax and take it easy. Until 6 pm that is. Then tonight we have a family night marked and tomorrow we start the weekly grind again.

I love my mission!! I have learned alot. I think the greatest lesson I have learned is that life isnt easy. But it was never meant to be easy. Its the hardest moments in life that we learn the greatest lessons. Suffering for the sins of all man kind wasnt easy for the Savior. So who am I to say that my life should be a walk in the park? We need to take the challenges God gives us and use them has chances to learn. Its a bitter sweet feeling I am starting to feel reaching the last few months here. I know the time will end fast. I am excited to return home and see all of your smiling faces and do the things that a normal person does. But at the same time when else in my life will I be able to visit a mother who only 19 days ago lost her 16 year old daughter who never walked or talked in her life due to health problems that her daughter was one of Gods warriors before this life? When will I have the chance to be able to answer a suffering mothers doubts that her daughter is with God? These are the moments that I will always remember. I love my Savior and I love this Work. Take care everybody and know I miss you all!!

Elder Wilkey

PS. I have attached photos from lunch yesterday and a photo of Elder Uchoa and my new companaion who looks like Shrek!!

No comments:

Post a Comment